After a quick trip back home to see my family for a few days, I was headed back to the beach. I’ve taken the trip countless times, and it has become overwhelmingly tedious. Mostly because of women, old, or tourist drivers who feel compelled to drive at least 10 to 15 miles under the speed limit…
But that’s not what this is about.
I had begun a study through the book of 1 & 2 Thessalonians by Michael Pearl. Towards the middlish end, he professes that giving thanks in all things doesn’t exactly mean “God, thank you that I just lost my job,” or “God, thanks! I really needed to lose that thumb while driving in the nail to my cat’s coffin.”
No sir. He explained it a different way. God isn’t at work through all things. Some instances Satan gets to take the credit. But God always has a way of turning everything out for good, and a thankful heart, thankful for the good you have, not the bad that has happened, is what pleases Him.
Being capable and willing to see the good through the bad truly is an art. It’s easy to preform a pithy prayer listing all your hurts and grievances. But when you can push all the dirt aside and find the pearls, then you have something special.
It wasn’t until I stumbled upon what I’m about to show you that I finally understood exactly what Michael was talking about.
You see, I can complain that people drive too slow because I have a car. I’m driving because I have some place to be. I have some place to be because I am needed.
by Nancie J. Carmody
- …the mess to clean up after a party
- because it means I have been surrounded by friends.
- …the taxes I pay
- because it means that I’m employed.
- …the clothes that fit a little too snug
- because it means I have enough to eat.
- …my shadow who watches me work
- because it means I am out in the sunshine.
- …the spot I find at the far end of the parking lot
- because it means I am capable of walking.
- …all the complaining I hear about our government
- because it means we have freedom of speech.
- …that lady behind me in church who sings off key
- because it means that I can hear.
- …lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing
- because it means I have a home.
- …my huge heating bill
- because it means that I am warm.
- …weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day
- because it means that I have been productive.
- …the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours
- because it means that I am alive.